Mosrite restored on American Restoration

Post by marc61 »

Considering they don't do guitars, it looks like a very nice job

http://www.history.com/shows/american-r ... -the-count
collin

Re: Mosrite restored on American Restoration

Post by collin »

Wow, what a complete numpty.

That guitar did NOT need a restoration. They also devalued it big time with the refin - obviously they know nothing about the vintage guitar market, and how itdiffers from antique Coke machines etc. :roll:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Link no good
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

whojamfan wrote:Link no good
Sure it is. Just watched it.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

collin wrote:Wow, what a complete numpty.

That guitar did NOT need a restoration. They also devalued it big time with the refin - obviously they know nothing about the vintage guitar market, and how itdiffers from antique Coke machines etc. :roll:
+1. Some guitars need to be restored in order to make them playable. I had it done to a Rick. I agree that this guitar did not need restoration, based on the video, and that more harm than good was done. It's one thing if it's your guitar and it's what you want to do, but heck - give the recipient a choice. Too bad.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Personally, I would have restored it. I spent enough of my life playing beat up guitars and they hold no magic for me. I'd rather play nice clean ones and could care less what the collectors think, or about the false market they create for old beat up guitars. I grew up and learned to play during the era of Mosrites and they were gorgeous instruments. That one came in pretty darned ugly. To each his own, but in my case, I would have boxed that thing up and shipped it to P.W. for a major facelift. It's not so rare and valuable that the financial hit would have been terrible anyway. There is a fairly steady stream of old Ventures model Mosrites on eBay, most of which are in better shape than that one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Either way you have to love Mosrites! The coolest looking guitar in their day and they still get my attention every time I see one.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

admin wrote:Either way you have to love Mosrites! The coolest looking guitar in their day and they still get my attention every time I see one.
I agree 100% Peter. There's something almost surreal about the look of a Mosrite - kind of like a Fender after a light makeover by Salvador Dali. I like the way the play and sound too - the basses as much as the guitars...
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I miss mine :cry: :cry:

Very unique and cool guitars,
marc61

Post by marc61 »

teb wrote: I would have boxed that thing up and shipped it to P.W. for a major facelift.
Actually, I thought it would have been a more interesting story had they looked Paul up and had him do it.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

It also would have been a more interesting story if the kid who got it as a gift had at least some idea of what he was getting. There was no evidence that he had any clue that it was a rare or special guitar. In any case, there isn't much actual reality in many of these reality TV shows and an awful lot of the stuff is pretty carefully scripted, even if not done word by word. You do have to admit that some of these TV guys do some really nice work. I just wish they would show a lot less of the interpersonal B.S. between the characters and show how the work gets done.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”