R.I.P. Huell Howser

Announcements, Birthdays, Congratulations, Commemorations & Obituaries

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

R.I.P. Huell Howser

Post by doctorwho »

I just read that Huell Howser has passed away.
Huell Howser; image used for educational  purposes only under the fair use practice (copyright retained by original owner)
Huell Howser; image used for educational purposes only under the fair use practice (copyright retained by original owner)
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/huell-howser-- ... 05349.html

I know we'll keep seeing him in reruns, but I'll miss seeing what new interesting places he'd be visiting. Rest in peace, Huell. :(
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

R.I.P. Huell Howser

Post by 8mileshigher »

We were saddened to hear of his passing, as his trevelogue and educational programs have always been a favorite in our house.
:( :( :(
Huell Howser was a real "original" and no other TV host will likely have that same folksy style and enthusiasm that he brought to every project.
collin

Re: R.I.P. Huell Howser

Post by collin »

Definitely RIP Huell.

Folks on the East Coast may have no idea who he was, but to summarize him - he was a Texan who moved out to California and found the true "California's Gold" was the abundance of interesting things about our state, and started a long-running TV show about it on public access.

Like Bob Ross and Fred Rogers, he was a PBS staple and often joked about, but always loved and respected for his genuine enthusiasm for seemingly mundane sights and locations.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I loved watching his show. He made every place in California and the people there seem interesting. His trip to In&Out Burger and the abandoned original LA subway system were two faves that come to mind. He was originally from Tennessee.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sounds like it was an interesting show, and a host that will be missed...
:(

R.I.P. Mr. Howser...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

For people who have never seen HH in action, here's a short sample of some clips of his shows. The guy could find something 'amazing' in almost anything. Whoever put the clips together apparently found some unintended comedic value in Huell's shows. My family will miss him.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “Landmarks”