New Owner

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

barnsleyjohn

New Owner

Post by barnsleyjohn »

Hello All

I am now the proud owner of a 620/6 Midnight Blue, what a guitar :) :) :) :) Started to learn how to play in January after 20 years of thinking about it, and I now have the 2 guitars I always wanted, the Other being a Gibson Les Paul.
So I was thinking about treating myself to a new amp but have no idea what to partner a 620 with. I currently own a Vox Night Train 15 and cab which I really like, so any ideas guy's.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Owner

Post by admin »

Congratulations. I would take a Vox AC15 for a test drive. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I own a Vox AC15 with an Alnico Blue speaker, and it sounds sublime with my Ric 12-strings and also my Strat and PRS. It's versatile enough for blues, jazz, R@B, folk-rock, what have you. Even with the stock Greenback speaker, you can't go wrong with a Ric and a Vox. 8)
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

I don't think there a very many amps that won't sound good with a 620. All depends upon your taste. Voxes, tweeds, blackfaces, Orange, even my 5150. The H&K Puretone sounds really good, especially with a little clean boost. The only thing I've found that doesn't seem to like high gains is my H&K Tubemeister. It's very tight and 'punchy' and it just gets too 'punchy' with the high gains.

They're very versatile guitars. Maybe just a phase, but my 660 and 620 are pretty much my favorites right now (edging out several 300s and a 350v63 in my basement).

Congrats on the purchase. You can run it with about anything.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Wait a minute. You just started to learn how to play...and you already have two guitars...and they are a Rickenbacker 620 and a Gibson Les Paul?!?

Friend, it's all downhill from there. Most people climb the mountain. You started at the summit.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Congrats, John, and welcome to the Forum!

Although they are not being produced now, you could try a used Kustom '36 Coupe:
P1010165.JPG
I think that they are great for all guitars (all tube, 6L6 power, Accutronics reverb, dual switchable channels ...).

Fender tube amps like the Twin Reverb are also great with Ricknebackers as well as with other guitars.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:...with Ricknebackers...
:shock: I didn't know these really existed! :shock:
raider
Veteran RRF member

Post by raider »

That's a great way to start a 620 Rickenbacker and a Les Paul.
The Vox AC15 or 30 can't go wrong with those Amps perfect
match for either guitar. Now let the fun begin 8)
barnsleyjohn

Post by barnsleyjohn »

Tommy wrote:Wait a minute. You just started to learn how to play...and you already have two guitars...and they are a Rickenbacker 620 and a Gibson Les Paul?!?

Friend, it's all downhill from there. Most people climb the mountain. You started at the summit.
I know what you mean Tommy, I started to learn on a battered old Yamaha I got for 20 quid the plan being after a couple of years get the Ric and the Les Paul. I seam to have started a mid-life crisis and got my guitars a bit earlier than planned :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

barnsleyjohn wrote:
Tommy wrote:Wait a minute. You just started to learn how to play...and you already have two guitars...and they are a Rickenbacker 620 and a Gibson Les Paul?!?

I know what you mean Tommy, I started to learn on a battered old Yamaha I got for 20 quid the plan being after a couple of years get the Ric and the Les Paul. I seam to have started a mid-life crisis and got my guitars a bit earlier than planned :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

IMHO after a certain mileage of years a man should stop wasting time with interim solutions.

- So a Rickenbacker and a Les Paul are a good place to stay.

The VOXes are normally more "rough" (what I prefer for "british sounds"). I play through an AC30VR and an AC4C1 with an external cab. A pure joy.
I am only thinking about a Fender tweed amp for these fine and warm ringing clean sounds. Maybe these tweed amps are worth a try for You, too.

BTW if I have had a better axe in my early days I would play better today. Why? A good guitar brings more pleasure and I practise more with good instruments.

Jangle on!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Hotzenplotz wrote:IMHO after a certain mileage of years a man should stop wasting time with interim solutions.
Very true.

Had barnsleyjohn been a teenager starting off with a Rickenbacker and a Les Paul...that would be cause for World War III. But, if as you say barnsleyjohn has "mileage" on him, then you are correct: why waste time with First Act guitars?

And, yes, you are correct. A top guitar to start out on, definitely makes one a better player. I was given a Fender Stratocaster as my very first guitar. Incredible top of the line instrument. I never even held a guitar before and was given a Stratocaster. Because that guitar was so special (and it was a gift) I made darn sure that I was going to learn how to play it and play it well.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

I'm not by any means trying to discourage you from getting an AC15, but if cost is a concern after your recent guitar-buying binge you may want to also consider the Vox modelling amps -- they do remarkably good impersonations of a bunch of cool amps at a small fraction of the cost of the real thing. Purists may scoff, but digital modelling really has come a long way.
barnsleyjohn

Post by barnsleyjohn »

Thanks All

My brother has recentley bought a Vox AC30, so I can try that out the next time I visit. In terms of budget, a AC30 is at the top end but as I have my Vox Night Train I can take a bit of time to make a choice, looks like I have a few choices.
In terms of my guitars I bought my Les Paul in March and have not been able to put it down, looks like I now have the same addiction with the Ric, so certainly getting plenty of practice in!! although I think my Guitar Teacher thinks I have lost the plot :D
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Some (admittedly not all) guitar teachers should observe that real progress on an instrument comes with a passion for it - there's no better way to be passionate about music than to love the guitar you play! :)

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
8mileshigher

New Owner

Post by 8mileshigher »

Congrats on your Rickenbacker acquisition, John ! ! :)
I agree with your comment that since you have a Vox Night Train, you can take your time shopping around for amps.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”