Why I Was Away and Why Now Back

Announcements, Birthdays, Congratulations, Commemorations & Obituaries

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

firstbassman
Advanced Member

Why I Was Away and Why Now Back

Post by firstbassman »

Some of you might have noticed that I have only posted two or three times in the past two years or so. One of the major reasons was that I suffered from Stenosing Tenosynovitis (also known as Trigger Finger) on my fretting hand and couldn’t play at all.

I reasoned that if I couldn’t play, why read about guitars and playing.

See link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_finger

I tried a couple of avenues to alleviate the trigger finger but I finally decided to try the surgery. I was scheduled to have it done early this past summer but other medical tests were required before it could be done so it was finally re-scheduled for September 27.

The total time for the out-patient procedure was about four hours.
I had very little pain from the surgery itself and what little pain there was completely went away by the next day.

I picked up a guitar one week later to see if I could play and it was very painful. Especially chords that require my index finger to hold down the first fret on the B string (note C) such as A min, F Maj, etc.

It was partly having to curl my finger that much (the trigger finger “pop” was gone). It was mostly having to stretch across the frets … the side of my finger hurt a lot. I wasn’t expecting that.

Ten days after the surgery (Oct. 7) I had the stitches taken out and brought one of my guitars with to show the doctor what the goal of this whole thing was and to show her where I was feeling the pain.

When I showed her where the pain was, the doctor asked me to play a couple of songs! How many patients get to do mini concerts for their surgeon? (For the curious, there really isn’t much of a surprise on the two songs I played: High Flying Bird and Death Don’t Have No Mercy.”)

The doctor said the pain on the side was normal and that playing was a great exercise and that I should keep at it. She also told me, for additional exercise, to make a complete closed fist ten times every hour.

Current update: It is now exactly three weeks and three days after the surgery … and I can actually play! Well, not great. Still a little rusty at some parts but a million times better than not playing at all.

I am not a doctor and I am offering no medical advice whatsoever. But (so far) I am very glad that I had the surgery done. I just wish I had done it sooner. I’m still experiencing a little stiffness and pain and I think part of the reason is because my finger was so immobile for a very long time.

One trick I did discover to ease back into practicing was that it is much easier to play with a capo on the second fret because the third and fourth frets, etc. are so much closer to each other than the first two frets. I don’t have to stretch my fingers as far.

I doubt I will be posting as much as I used to but I wanted to give everyone an update and it is great to be back playing. :)

- Mark
Happyface

Re: Why I Was Away and Why Now Back

Post by Happyface »

That's a great ending to the story!
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Happyface wrote:That's a great ending to the story!
+1! 8)

Glad to have you back! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

doctorwho wrote: Glad to have you back! :)
+1 :)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Good for you, Mark. Welcome back.
JimK
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Very happy for you that it all worked out. Welcome back, Mark! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Thanks guys!!!

Oh my gosh. It's like meeting old friends that I haven't seen in years.

I'll post a couple more updates soon.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Mark, wish you a quick recovering. A friend of mine,a bass player, had the same problem with his middle finger on the fretting hand and did the surgery as well. What he said : You have to be patient with playing, start slowly , don't exaggerate too early, otherwise there is the danger of inflammation again. He had this surgery done a year ago and is 100 percent able to play like before. All the best!
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

That is very encouraging news, Alex. Thanks!

Actually I am amazed at how fast the stiffness is healing.

I can now completely close my hand.

I don’t want to turn this into an old folks talking about health issues thread, but there is still some tightness overall and the first knuckle is still sore from something. If that gets better in time great! If not, I can live with this.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Photos

Post by firstbassman »

For those interested, here are photos of my hand after surgery.

If you’re squeamish, don’t bother to look (but they’re really not that bad at all).

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/FirstB ... e.jpg.html

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/FirstB ... e.jpg.html
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thank you for sharing!
I am glad that you can play again. I know I would get mad if I wouldn't be able to play even though I rarely play now :(
So long and thanks for all the fish!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Welcome back! Best wishes for a COMPLETE recovery, and many more posts.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Landmarks”