Dale Fortune RIC inspired guitar. Tell me about it!

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

agiknee

Dale Fortune RIC inspired guitar. Tell me about it!

Post by agiknee »

Hello everyone,

first time poster onto your forum. A few months back I purchased this guitar and I can't put it down. It took me a while to get used to the neck after playing a fender jazz master and mustang for years. The previous owner didn't know much about the guitar besides that it looked like a Ric and sounded like an old gibson and that it was made by an old luthier named Dale Fortune.

He was right, it sings like a gibson when played through an overdriven amp but also has the ric jingle like my buddies old 360.

Basically, I want to know how old the guitar is and who it's belonged to. It's a cool player and did I forget to mention that it's absolutely mint? I love it! :D

manta
Intermediate Member

Re: Dale Fortune RIC inspired guitar. Tell me about it!

Post by manta »

First time for me to see that. I suspect we can have "old" Dale reply. You're "Fortunate" to have found that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Hot looking instrument! I love the simplicity. 8) 8) 8)
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
agiknee

Post by agiknee »

Thank you guys. It's a total mystery guitar or possibly a prototype of some sort. It's a keeper
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

That's one understated and very beautiful guitar - subtle as a black cat in a coal-cellar with a single grey hair! :)

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
agiknee

Post by agiknee »

do you guys know if it's based on a certain model RICK or is it a Dale Fortune Design
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

agiknee wrote:do you guys know if it's based on a certain model RICK or is it a Dale Fortune Design
It's vaguely like a 360. Dale is on Facebook - track him down there and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss this instrument. :)
agiknee

Post by agiknee »

sloop_john_b wrote:
agiknee wrote:do you guys know if it's based on a certain model RICK or is it a Dale Fortune Design
It's vaguely like a 360. Dale is on Facebook - track him down there and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss this instrument. :)
I don't have a Facebook :( and I'm not that interested in getting one just to ask him a question. If there's anyway someone can link him to the photos I've posted or link him to this thread, I'd appreciate it.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

agiknee wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:
I don't have a Facebook :( and I'm not that interested in getting one just to ask him a question. If there's anyway someone can link him to the photos I've posted or link him to this thread, I'd appreciate it.
Dale is not allowed to post here. I would be happy to PM you with his email address...
agiknee

Post by agiknee »

[/quote]

Dale is not allowed to post here. I would be happy to PM you with his email address...[/quote]

please do. Thank you so much.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Did Dale play that guitar at the 75th, or am I just losing my memory?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johneek wrote:Did Dale play that guitar at the 75th, or am I just losing my memory?
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

The photo in the original post is of a double-bound instrument, whereas the guitar depicted with Mr. Fortune in the previous post only has binding on the top; there is more than one of these guitars. (Edited to say: stating the obvious! :oops: )

That bridge and tail-piece look like they were custom-machined. 8)

Interesting thread! Please let us know what Dale says if/when you get in-touch.
Last edited by DriftSpace on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

DriftSpace wrote:The photo in the original post is of a double-bound instrument, whereas the guitar depicted with Mr. Fortune in the previous post only has binding on the top; there is more than one of these guitars
My photo was in answer to John's question of what Dale played at the 75th weekend. I have seen some other examples of Dale's work, so I do know that the guitar is not the same as the one posted by Shaun.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

I wasn't impugning your post or doubting you, Jeff; I was just trying to summarize things myself, as someone has speculated it might be a "prototype" earlier. Your post does indeed show that this was not the instrument Dale played, and that there is more than one; I was just spelling it out ... which maybe wasn't entirely necessary.

Anyway, really cool guitar. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. :)

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”