Rare Rickenbacker 320 Tuxedo info needed

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Pepe

Rare Rickenbacker 320 Tuxedo info needed

Post by Pepe »

Hello,
I´m about to buy a Rickenbacker 320 that seems to be a Tuxedo model, however I can´y find any info on the web about this particular guitar.
Serial number is ZJ 2665 which makes it an 86 made instrument. It has a white body with all hardware parts blackened out (tuners, pickups, R tail piece...) The pickguards and trussrod cover are black.Neck has white small dots.
Any info on this rare guitar? production numbers? value?
Thanks so much for your help
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Rare Rickenbacker 320 Tuxedo info needed

Post by jps »

Hi José, what you are looking at is not a Tuxedo model but a 320 in white with BT/BH (black trim/black hardware).TTBOMK there never was a Tuxedo version of the 320 made. A true Tuxedo model would also have a white painted maple fingerboard with small black micro dots in it for position markers; this is a key feature that distinguishes a Tuxedo model from a standard model with the BT/BH options on it.

The 320 you are considering may not be rare but it probably is uncommon, good luck with the acquisition.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I wouldn't pay much more for white than I would for a standard 320. The finish tends to yellow, and usually unevenly.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Thanks sooo much for your replies!
Actually the owner of the white 320 wants to trade it for my inmaculate fireglo 330.
Its true that the white finish on the 320 has turned sort of light yellow (and not evenly) and my 330 its way better preserved .
Would you cut that deal?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Seems like a decent trade to me. Be sure you're familiar with the short scale first, some people get them and find the fretboard too small.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Thx so much for the advise. We are going to temporary exchange guitars for now and then decide. Seems like my 330 sounds better and it is easier to play. I'll keep you guys posted!
Greetings from Spain!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Pepe wrote:Greetings from Spain!
How about that Alonso?! I hope he finally wins the championship, with the F14 T, this year. 8)
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

We alll support Alonso! and he is from Asturias, my homeland!
THX!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”