Well It Was 50 Years Ago Today!

The history and music of the Fab Four
FabGearHead

Well It Was 50 Years Ago Today!

Post by FabGearHead »

50 year anniversary of The Beatles Ed Sullivan performance! I have three older sisters, yeah, I watched it live when I was 8 years old!

Jim
brammy

Re: Well It Was 50 Years Ago Today!

Post by brammy »

Exactly the thread I was going to make!

Age 10.... I was sitting in my parents bedroom.... my sister ( 2 years older) had INSISTED that we all watch.
My only previous experience with singer guitarists had been with singing cowboys and Ricky Nelson, who I thought
was very grown up and pretty cool.

The guys on the Ed Sullivan show were definitely not cowboys but in a strange way they seemed pretty cool.
And why did that one guy have only for strings on his guitar?

My sister was (naturally) swooning, so I couldn't give her the satisfaction of agreeing with her..... so I made fun
of her saying that "na na na na na na... you're in LOVE"..... "you like guys who sing about LOVE"..... etc

But the next day at school, EVERYTHING was somehow DIFFERENT. .... and the rest is history.

brammy

Post by brammy »

.... they made it look so easy...
hand.jpg
brammy

Post by brammy »

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Playing in bands while growing up in Meriden CT. 50 years ago I knew two young boys. Paul and Ronnie Kroll. I crossed paths with Paul often playing in local bands. Anyway both these guys were lucky enough to have won spots in the Broadway musical, Oliver. Ronnie won the lead role, and Paul a supporting role. As it turns out the night The Beatles made their first apperance on The Ed Sullivan Show, one of the acts before them was the cast of Oliver, which included both Ronnie and Paul............ It was always cool hearing Paul joke about that experience, saying how he and his brother actually opened for The Beatles that night, and nobody even remembers :(
brammy

Post by brammy »

Is it true that future Monkee Davy Jones was part of that cast?
I guess it it.......
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Yes Davey Jones was also part of that cast. The very young boy singing the second part of this tune in this video is Ronnie.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”