new 325C64 questions

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jimmy74

new 325C64 questions

Post by jimmy74 »

Hi folks just got my hands on a new 325C64 serial number indicates April 2015, just wanted to know if this is actually legit, it was shipped to me in a supposedly original rickenbacker box, the sticker is original but the box has " glass do not drop" or something like that written on it, so I wanted to know if rickenbacker actually does ship new guitars in such cardboard boxes? Also I noticed that some things are a bit of a sign of sloppy QC, one of the tuner ferrules was raised a fingernail thickness above the headstock, there is rust on the tremolo arm mount rod, and some of the pickup rubber spacers aren't placed properly.

thanks
J.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Re: new 325C64 questions

Post by wmthor »

jimmy74 wrote:... it was shipped to me in a supposedly original rickenbacker box, the sticker is original but the box has " glass do not drop" or something like that written on it, so I wanted to know if rickenbacker actually does ship new guitars in such cardboard boxes? ...
Yes, "Glass Do Not Drop" is printed on Rickenbacker's boxes.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimmy74 wrote:...the box has " glass do not drop" or something like that written on it...
Attachments
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

QC ?
Yes a friend of mine had some problems too with his brand new 325C64. Corrosion
, mounting screw of vibrato arm which doesn`t fix it all and the accent has too weak steel, string tension pulls it apart !

Greetings

Peter
All you need is love and a rick !
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

wmthor wrote:Yes, "Glass Do Not Drop" is printed on Rickenbacker's boxes.
Oops, should be "Glass Handle With Care." In my defense, I hadn't finished that first cup of coffee. :D :D :D
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

wmthor wrote:
wmthor wrote:Yes, "Glass Do Not Drop" is printed on Rickenbacker's boxes.
Oops, should be "Glass Handle With Care." In my defense, I hadn't finished that first cup of coffee. :D :D :D
I made that photograqph in 2007 knowing it would come in handy in 2015! :mrgreen:
jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

so it all adds up I suppose, I haven't tried the tremolo arm yet, next thing on the list. how do the controls and switch work?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Each pickup has volume and tone, and work independently, unlike Gibsons. The small 5th knob is a blend between pickups. Technically it is a second volume knob for the neck pickup, reverse potted.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi Saverio,
The middle and the neck Pickup are wired together, so you have the following:
switch up : neck and middle pickup
switch middle: all three pickups
switch down: only neck pickup

me and a lot of other people do not like this wiring, so i did the fifth knob modification and the fifth knob does work as an individual volume control for the middle pickup.
there is a manual for this mod somewhere in the forum.

Greetings

Peter
jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

thanks for the info, I've had a look at what's in the case, a sticker, a brochure, 2 or 3 hex keys, the keys for the case and the tremolo.... but there's no certificate or guarantee.... is this normal or are they missing?

thanks
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Medicus1963 wrote:Hi Saverio,
The middle and the neck Pickup are wired together, so you have the following:
switch up : neck and middle pickup
switch middle: all three pickups
switch down: only neck pickup

me and a lot of other people do not like this wiring, so i did the fifth knob modification and the fifth knob does work as an individual volume control for the middle pickup.
there is a manual for this mod somewhere in the forum.

Greetings

Peter
I also have a mod that involves changing out the 5th knob for a DPDT pushpull pot, so you can simultaneously have the .0047 inline capacitor in or out and the neck and middle pickups either/or with the bridge pickup. The functions of each of the knobs stays exactly factory stock, including using the 5th knob for what it was originally intended for, so there is no having to re-learn anything, and it passes both the "guest player" and the "five-foot" test - with the pushpull on the 5th knob, you don't notice it when it is engaged. Send me a PM and I'll send you the diagram. I have done this mod to my 320 with great effect, and there is an entire thread on it on the RIC factory forum. The only combination you lose is all three together, which is the stock middle position of the selector switch, and I find that to be a most uncharacteristic, insipid tone.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

jimmy74 wrote:the box has " glass do not drop" or something like that written on it, so I wanted to know if rickenbacker actually does ship new guitars in such cardboard boxes?
Got two Rics shipped to me the past three years. Two different cardboard boxes:

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The box in the upper photo does not look like any Rickenbacker box I have ever seen.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

OPs,
mistake! switch down is bridge only of course!

Sorry
jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

what about the case candy, I've got the tremolo arm, 3 hex screw drivers, a sticker and the manual..... shouldn't there be a Rickenbacker certificate or guarantee specific to this guitar?

thanks

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”