This does not look correct!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

This does not look correct!

Post by VRICKY63 »

DSC_0030.jpg
Just bought this 83 4003. I took it apart for cleaning and found the truss rods like this. What happened and can I fix it?
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: This does not look correct!

Post by aceonbass »

Yep...That's how RIC did the truss rod thrust plate at the body end on the early 4003's. I think it looks like s***, so I'd have someone make a one piece thrust plate for it.
basmansam

Post by basmansam »

Refer to page 63 in Paul Boyers awesome "The Rickenbacker Electric 50 years as rocks bottom".
Great photo to refer to.
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Re: This does not look correct! ??

Post by VRICKY63 »

I got it. Thanks for the photo suggestion in Mr Boyer's book. I see these are the old "hairpin" rods. Yes, it's an ugly looking system. Thanks guys.
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Re: This does not look correct! ??

Post by VRICKY63 »

VRICKY63 wrote:I got it. Thanks for the photo suggestion in Mr Boyer's book. I see these are the old "hairpin" rods. Yes, it's an ugly looking system. Thanks guys.
Will the newer 4003 rods fit in this bass?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

They will fit, but they will not work. Thay must be in a curved channel, and the old style are in a straight one.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Hairpins work just as well as compression rods. You just have to know the correct way to adjust them.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

ilan wrote:Hairpins work just as well as compression rods. You just have to know the correct way to adjust them.
But not if they are installed in the wrong model. Take Dana's advice here. Besides, there is no bearing surface for the acorn nuts of the new-style rods to anchor to on the 4001.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

I think I was misunderstood. I was referring to the question "Will the newer 4003 rods fit in this bass?" - even if newer rods were functional in a pre-86 bass (and of course they are not), they are not better than the hairpins.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

bassduke49 wrote: Take Dana's advice here. Besides, there is no bearing surface for the acorn nuts of the new-style rods to anchor to on the 4001.
Who's Dana?.... :evil:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

aceonbass wrote:Who's Dana?.... :evil:
Does Dorothy know about Dana, Paul? :shock:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

bassduke49 wrote:But not if they are installed in the wrong model. Take Dana's advice here. Besides, there is no bearing surface for the acorn nuts of the new-style rods to anchor to on the 4001.
I think it's clear what he meant to say was that the old system works just as well as the new system when maintained properly. Hence, no reason for Rick to worry about having a bass with the old system.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

aceonbass wrote:
bassduke49 wrote: Take Dana's advice here. Besides, there is no bearing surface for the acorn nuts of the new-style rods to anchor to on the 4001.
Damn. I did it again. I have another expert friend named Dana Bell and my fingers are faster than my thought processes. Sorry, Dane, and sorry, Dana. So if anyone needs to know about the paint colors used on the interior surfaces of the Vought F4U-1 Corsair back in the '40s, Dana can set you straight. Let's stick with Dane on the musical instruments! :oops:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

basmansam wrote:Refer to page 63 in Paul Boyers awesome "The Rickenbacker Electric 50 years as rocks bottom".
Great photo to refer to.
Huh, photo, Page 63... Oh yeah, THAT photo...
:mrgreen: :lol:

When I first took the TRC off of that bass, it looked SO different from what I was used to with my previous 4001 basses, I almost wondered if I had somehow bought a fake. That was LONG before the book (obviously)...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

bassduke49 wrote:
aceonbass wrote:
Damn. I did it again. I have another expert friend named Dana Bell and my fingers are faster than my thought processes. Sorry, Dane, and sorry, Dana. So if anyone needs to know about the paint colors used on the interior surfaces of the Vought F4U-1 Corsair back in the '40s, Dana can set you straight. Let's stick with Dane on the musical instruments! :oops:

The Vought, Brewster, or Goodyear? Ours (Military Aviation Museum) is an FG-1D :P
1964 4001S Fireglo

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”