The Famous Ric/Maxima S4440 Flatwound

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

loveboatcaptain

The Famous Ric/Maxima S4440 Flatwound

Post by loveboatcaptain »

So... It's not everyday you find a shop that has 11 boxes of sealed vintage Rickenbacker S4440 Flatwounds they are just taking up room in the store and they want to get rid of...

but today that happened to me... SCORE!!!!!!

I'd like the know the gauge of the S4440 set, I've heard that it was 112/77/50/40, but I wonder if they varied over the years? any confirmation here from Ric? I've also heard the E string was 105?

So for those of you interested, take a look at these pics, rather remarkable really. Like a time capsule... amazing to think these haven't seen the light of day for 30/40 years? I opened one of the boxes to inspect.

I'll report back once I've taken the S4440's for a test run.
Attachments
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Last edited by loveboatcaptain on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiker

Re: SCORED - The Famous Ric/Maxima S4440 Flatwound

Post by Wiker »

Oh, look at that :shock: Lucky man you are :D
The one set I have measured 45-55-73-101
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: SCORED - The Famous Ric/Maxima S4440 Flatwound

Post by sloop_john_b »

Wow! :shock:
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: The Famous Ric/Maxima S4440 Flatwound

Post by iiipopes »

Have you thought about contacting Sir Macca's equipment manager? They might be very interested.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Holy moly
loveboatcaptain

It did cross my mind about contacting Macca's guy but how to go about it I'm not sure. Kinda wanna use them myself though. But maybe he can have a few lol.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

loveboatcaptain wrote:It did cross my mind about contacting Macca's guy but how to go about it I'm not sure. Kinda wanna use them myself though. But maybe he can have a few lol.
Keep them, and enjoy them, for yourself; Paul can afford to buy anything he wants whenever he wants, probably even unobtanium.
loveboatcaptain

Yeah true. I'm certainly gonna enjoy these, can't wait to get them strung up
teeder

Post by teeder »

Congrats!
Send a set to me and I'll throw some micrometers on them and give you a measurement. :wink: :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:Congrats!
Send a set to me and I'll throw some micrometers on them and give you a measurement. :wink: :mrgreen:
Just don't go check tensile strength, string to string balance, or tuning/pitch accuracy while you're at it! :mrgreen:
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I know this post is completely off-the-wall, but consider this:

On the basschat.co.uk forum, when the Innovation company liaison wanted to do beta testing on a new forumulation of double bass strings, he set up a registry. You registered. The strings were mailed out to you. You tried them for a week, then either sent them back or contacted the next person on the registry to pass them along.

For those who never got the opportunity to play the OEM strings, and considering how long a good set of flats will last, maybe sacrificing one set for the cause for something like it might be something to consider? Maybe even with a $5.00 PayPal from each prospective auditioner to show good faith? Each person would be responsible for the postage to get it to the next person.

Yes, granted, a scheme like this has its caveats. If one person in the chain simply won't play nice with others, like we were taught to do in Kindergarten, yes, the whole thing falls apart. But I would like to think that those who care enough about taking care of a Rickenbacker instrument properly are also generally a notch up in their level of personal integrity and responsibility, and it just might work.

If it could be done, I would encourage each auditioner to make sound clips as possible, and post on the forum their impressions, including comparison with other strings.

Just a thought (as the bass lines in Sgt. Pepper start rolling through my head).
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Congratulations on your find! That's quite a stash!

I'm glad to have copped a feel of those strings while trying out an azureglo (fave color) 4001 back in '75. Honestly, I will never forget that experience.

It seems like it'll be easy enough to put a set on, but how do you decide when to change them after that? They should last a long time, so maybe every eighteen months? That'd give you sixteen and a half years. OK, twenty two if you change them every two years. TI flats are good for three. Thirty three years sounds pretty good. Could easily last a lifetime for some of us.

Do strings last longer if you keep them in the freezer?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Believe you me, once you get a set of original Maximas on a Rick, you'll never want to remove them!

They may sound a little uneven at first, but give a good hour of play, and that starts to clear up.

Great find!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Scott......while a set of stock flats would likely last years on one bass, cycling them (taking them on and off) multiple times will kill them prematurely.
Last edited by aceonbass on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

aceonbass wrote:Scott......while a set of stock flats would likely last years on one bass, cylcling them (taking them on and off) multiple times will kill them prematurely.
The constant straightening of the ends to get them to pass through the tailpiece would usher in metal fatigue very quickly.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”