North Versus South - Musician and Fan Rivalry

History and music of Liverpool
admin
Site Admin

North Versus South - Musician and Fan Rivalry

Post by admin »

I read sometime ago about the Yardbirds visiting the Cavern for their first evening performance. Members of the Yardbirds felt that their music or perhaps their group was not well received by the Cavern patrons.

Alan, was this view simply the imagination or sensitivity of the Yardbirds, or were groups subject to significant criticism when they were on on their own turf so to speak.

Also did you note whether there was a significant rivaly between Liverpool and London group members during the British Invasion years.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Peter: Could I say something or the question if for Alan only?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Miguel: Rock away Miguel. I am interested in what everyone has to say. Sorry to pose this question in such a restrictive manner.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Oh, no problem, Peter, just wanted to be sure. What I had to say is that Bill Wyman recalls in his bio that when The Rolling Stones went up north to play at 'The Cavern', in the autumm of 1963, they were frightened. They thought that the patrons wouldn´t enjoy their music. But they were wrong, the audience loved The Stones, and they returned at least a couple of times. Same story, but with a different group: The Kinks, in early 1964. The facts can be found in Ray Davies´'X Ray', but Pete Quaife told me that they were scared of playing at 'The Cavern'. Again, the gig went great (and was recorded for a TV show). It seems that Liverpool audiences didn´t have anything against the groups from the South, though Alan knows better, of course.
albie

Post by albie »

Difficult to generalise as ever Pete.

My own take is that Liverpudlians tend to be - on the whole and amongst many other things - a warm hearted bunch.

As such a Liverpool audience is usually up for a good time and is invariably a responsive one. It will certainly appreciate a performance that is wholehearted. More than anything else they seem to respond to a trier. Not to say, of course, that a touch of class is not appreciated too.

By the same token they may be left slightly cold by a more sophisticated or remote/aloof artist. Whether the Yardbirds fell into that category I'm not sure as I never saw them.

Liverpool is steeped in music and football and the locals tend to be passionate about one or the other or both. That enthusiasm does seem to transmit itself to the performers as - like Miguel has pointed out - many performers count a Liverpool audience amongst their favourites.

Brian Wilson and Ryan Adams are two artists I've seen recently who have extolled this enthusiasm.

In the football world the Anfield Spion Kop is renowned for its appreciation of the opposition. Never does an opposing goalkeeper arrive at the Kop end without rapturous applause. This is unique in football.

You seemed to have touched on something here Pete. Not sure how it fits in with your entire analysis but I'd certainly say there is something in it.

Regarding the North-South thing, I'd say there is certainly no greater awareness of this within the Liverpudlian than in any other Northerner. It certainly exists but I wouldn't say I've ever found any hostility to a Southern act whether it be a comedian or rock artist

One interesting observation in that book I mentioned in the George Harrison thread. A quote that states - 'Liverpool - in the North but not of it'. That is definitely true. Hence the title of the book - essays in Liverpool exceptionalism ' [meaning literally apart from the rest]. It has its good points - and it also has it bad ones.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”