Possible jack failure on std jack of a 4003 bass?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Byron_Pace

Possible jack failure on std jack of a 4003 bass?

Post by Byron_Pace »

I read some earlier posts & in one of them you mentioned 'jack failure' on a 4003 bass. I'm not exactly sure that's what I'm running into but it sounds like it: Guitar cables unplug very easily from the standard jack of my 4003 bass - too easily I'm afraid (accidentally pulled out the cable a few times w/just the slightest tug). The Rick-O-Sound jack seems to have a much tighter fit, but I don't use that one as much. Is this something I can do something about (eg get a specific kind of guitar cord that has somewhat thicker 1/4" connectors), or do I have a problem with this standard jack? Thanks in advance for any info.
marcinkus

Post by marcinkus »

My '98 4003 has the same problem...
Byron_Pace

Post by Byron_Pace »

Mine's a '99. I wonder if they just had a bad run of these jacks. I went ahead & ordered a Rick jack assembly but who's to say it won't have the same problem? Are you getting around it somehow?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

You don't need a new jack assembly.

The mono jack is a switching jack and can get loose over time ....about ten minutes,no joke!

Take the pickguard off,

The mono jack has a 'fin' of metal that runs parallel to another 'fin' that has a white plastic knob on the end .

You will need a cord to test this out after this check and 'modification ' are completed.

Are you ready for this?

Take the section of jack that looks like a 'J' and push it towards the center of the jack.

That tightens up the input jack ....yup ,thats all there is to it .Now for the fun part.

Those two fins....see those?

When the cord is NOT plugged in ,they should NOT touch each other.
When you do plug a cord in ...they MUST touch each other.

You must press the outside fin against the inside fin to adjust this .A tool to have is a small (not something to open a paint can with)slot head screw driver.This will be used to adjust/pry apart the fins after you squeeze them together.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
marcinkus

Post by marcinkus »

Thank you Mark!
Byron_Pace

Post by Byron_Pace »

Yes, Thanks.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

For everyone that has a Rick-O-Sound jack on their instrument...

This is how to fix it .

You can also clean the contacts with denatured alcohol and /or some wet/dry fine grit (under 400)sandpaper.This is also how to clean the selector switch contacts.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”