The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

manabu

1964 Rose Morris 1996 for sale on e-bay

Post by manabu »

larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

For starters the pictures are quite poor, especially since they are pricing this guitar at $25,000. I don't think the photos were taken at Music Ground as they are not their style of photos. I believe they are listing this for someone else and probably have never held the guitar in their hands. Could this be the same guitar that was for sale on Ebay a while back(some guy from Scotland was selling)? In 25 years of looking I've never seen a model 1996 in original black finish(I haven't seen them all though). But, the Rickenbacker book lists only fire-glo 1996 models produced in 1964 and only two black model 325's. Even though the pictures are poor the black finish stands out as too shiney. I sure wouldn't hand over $25,000+ for this guitar.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Larry, I don't think it's the Scotland guitar unless the fretboard was fixed up nicely,it's probably just another RM1996 that was painted black. They say it's the original finish, but I doubt it. Not that it's impossible, but I (like you) have yet to see any Rose Morris 325 with any factory finish other than Fireglo. I would have to have a copy of the Radio Tel doc in front of me saying it's a factory black guitar before I'd hit the button...At $25K you just don't speculate.

I heard(but never saw)that there was someone who had a black, square heel RM1996 with a 2pm f-hole walking around at the Philly show that wanted $18K for his....oh well.
manabu

Post by manabu »

I think seller must show much more indetals of this guitar especialy inside of the control cability and under the truss rod cover etc.
Perhaps we will be able to see some hints whether
color is original or not. Anyway, number of the photos are quite small for $25K guitar.
manabu

Post by manabu »

I think seller must show much more in details of this guitar especialy inside of the control cabity and under the truss rod cover etc.
Perhaps we will be able to see some hints whether
color is original or not. Anyway, numbers of the photo are quite small for $25K guitar.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I agree Manabu and John. Many more photos would be needed and even then guitars are cleverly altered to appear original. It's 'unbelievable' how many 'original' and rare Hofners, Rickenbackers and Beatle related guitars can come through these guys. George Gruhn has stated it has become a real problem determining if guitars are authenticate and it has become very important to know the history/background of the instrument. They don't even give the serial number on such an expensive instrument. I think a more honest description would be "1964 Rickenbacker Model 1996(give the serial number here) refinished in black with changed pots. Two o'clock f-hole. $15000 or best offer".
69z28man
Veteran RRF member

Post by 69z28man »

Buyer beware.....unless you can inspect these types of instruments first hand it makes no sense to take the risk.

Note that Justin of Music Ground does state that the guitar has been re-freted. Changing the entire fingerboard with the re-fret is a small investment price given the opportunity to net 20k for this guitar.

This 325 guitar does look a lot like the one the guy (David) from Scotland listed on eBay. That guy eventually got frustrated with me as I kept after him for pics. My guess is the seller realized that he was not going to move the guitar and sold it to a guitar dealer or is listing it on consignment.
1. ../578/26551.html"MB">

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”