The Lost Lennon 325 proto-type

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

roadrunners

The Lost Lennon 325 proto-type

Post by roadrunners »

ok, Im gonna re-instate this question in the 325 section........Ive read in many places that mr Hall (or another member of rickenbacker) went to the beatles place of residency in 1966 while they were touring the U.S and tried to present them with a number of different instruments.....one of those instruments intrigued me very much he called it a 325, but also noted that it was full scale and had rounded edges. where is this guitar today???/
"This is my personal quote"
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I'd like to know too! :-)
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

I thought they might have mean't the one featured on page 223 of the Smith book. It's a late 60's model, with a 325 shaped solid body(thicker than any other solid), with the aforementioned rounded edges, and full scale neck. So it's a two pickup, non vibrato model, but they could have been refering to the body shape rather than being strictly correct with pickup and tremelo spec. They shouldn't have been calling a full scale guitar a 325 either.
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Hey, I would like to know what happened to the "McGuinn" type 12 string, that George was suppose to get!!!!!
roadrunners

Post by roadrunners »

"I thought they might have mean't the one featured on page 223 of the Smith book. It's a late 60's model, with a 325 shaped solid body(thicker than any other solid), with the aforementioned rounded edges, and full scale neck. So it's a two pickup, non vibrato model, but they could have been refering to the body shape rather than being strictly correct with pickup and tremelo spec. They shouldn't have been calling a full scale guitar a 325 either."

----Can anyone upload a picture of this? please?
"This is my personal quote"
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I so hate to be pedantic here, but...tremelo and vibrato are two different things. Since...forever, the two have been confused and used interchangeably. What you are referring to here is vibrato.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Rickenbacker appears to have favoured Vibrato systems over Tremelo systems. The Accent system is correctly titled "Accent Vibrato". The Kauffman was fully titled "Kauffman Vibrola" Neither of which are tremelo systems. People do sometimes complain about the Accent, but that could be from using it too heavily, like a Bigsby. Under these conditions it can loose pitch. However, if used more gently, and as a Vibrato, it seems to work just fine on all my Rics that have it.

I think Vibrato is the correct term for those systems used by Ric. Tremelo is correct for heavier action systems like Bigsby.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

I always thought "vibrato" changed the pitch, and "tremelo" changed the volume.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You got it, Ronn. It's been talked about before in other strings on this Forum.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

yes that's true. So technically speaking, all devices for changing the pitch of the strings are vibrato's, and the only true tremelo devices for a guitar would be your finger on the volume knob as you play, or the tremelo effect on your amp of course.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You got it. There's been a lot of misperception on this over the years, some of it fostered by manufacturers' poorly informed copywriters.
― Kurt Vonnegut
route66guitars

Post by route66guitars »

To answer Alex's original question, the guitar is in Rickenbacker's collection.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”