McGuinn's Signature 7-String Martin Acoustic

Those who flock to The Byrds
jamesvwaal

Post by jamesvwaal »

$5,499??!! Gulp.... That is one expensive string!
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

While it is a nice guitar, I saw McGuinn use it last year, professing it essentially gives you what a 12 string does. I didn't hear it. He used it exclusively during the show and didn't touch his Ric. It wasn't what I expected. Like I said it's nice but I can't see paying 5K plus for it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
dusty

Post by dusty »

I can't see paying that much for it either. I guess I'd have to play it to go see if I really liked it, but something tells me I wouldn't be especially thrilled with it.

The Stephen Stills model that came out this year looks really nice too, but it's 13k, so I definately won't be getting one of those either.
emswife

Post by emswife »

I thought the Stephen Stills model was a Gibson, not a Martin
"Whatcha ya gonna do now, Rich?"
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Stills' was the Martin D-45SS Signature Edition.
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Post by jeff »

I'm with you guys on this one, great guitar, but way over-priced however. My heart sank when I saw the price on the McGuinn Martin 12 string years ago! So needless to say when I heard about this new 7 string model I figured the price would be up there again. You're paying for all the fancy inlays, etc., etc.
I wonder what a "plain' or "basic" version (provided that they consider doing one) would cost without all the inlays and without it being a "signature" model?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Stills new Martin is like the one he was playing in a snowfield on his 1st solo LP from 1970, a 000-45. The 1st Sig. Martin they did for him was the $19k pre-war spec D -45 SS.As to Rogers' new 7 string, uh, hey, that's the LIST price. No one pays list.Most of the "Vintage series Martins, of which I own a couple, are just under $4k, and you
can buy them for around $2600 or so at a discount.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

'Bout the best price for the 7 would be around 3200 (at 60%)...still to high for the seventh string and trinkets added on. And I like I said it didn't sound that great. I have a 35 and 28 which I got for around 16 new, they'll do me.
emswife

Post by emswife »

Thanks for clearing that up... I could buy everything I else I want for that kind of money for one guitar with one extra string!
"Whatcha ya gonna do now, Rich?"

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”