My Holy Grail found! (RoMo content...)

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: My Holy Grail found! (RoMo content...)

Post by collin »

JakeK wrote:Was it ever discovered WHY there was a big hole in the lower horn of Pete's first 1998?

Collin, do you have pics of the headstock repair? What kind of amps do you use with it? To really be like Pete, try and find a 60's Fender Bassman! That was his rig in the old days (I'm sure you know that he ran the Bassman through the Marshall 4X12s until they switched over to VOX in July of 1965).
Not sure why on the hole- I've never seen pics with a toggle switch located there, which is the only logical explanation I can find. I have certainly heard some other strange theories though...

As for the amp- my intention is never to "really be like Pete." (read: I just dig a guitar like his). My usual amp is either a Fender Blues Deville (poorman's 4x10 Bassman) or a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2x12 combo. Course I know about PT's blond early bassman head! He also used Marshall JTM heads before playing vox. Whatevs...
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

paologregorio wrote:
rick_ovic wrote:Welcome to the RM 1998 owners club, Collin! That's a gorgeous example you've found, well done.
Trotty, I see you're wearing your matching accessories from the Buffalo Exchange. :D
collin wrote: Sweeeet--Do I get a pledge pin or funny hat too? (I see you've already recieved yours! :) ) Thanks!
This is my new, limited edition, checkerbound look. :lol:
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
kerchang

Post by kerchang »

collin wrote:
JakeK wrote:Was it ever discovered WHY there was a big hole in the lower horn of Pete's first 1998?
Not sure why on the hole- I've never seen pics with a toggle switch located there, which is the only logical explanation I can find. I have certainly heard some other strange theories though......
The hole was indeed for a toggle switch which can be seen on the photoshoot pics for the Maximum R'n'B Marquee poster.
It looks like the hole made a weak spot on the lower horn and caused the whole lower section of the body to snap off during
a Townshend smashing session. Later pics of the same (possibly tho sporting a diff tailpiece) 1998 show it with the lower body section stuck back on with red
electrical insulating tape hiding the hole and cracks. A pic of the back reveals an entire section of the lower body as a gaping rectangular hole.
collin

Post by collin »

kerchang wrote:
collin wrote:
Not sure why on the hole- I've never seen pics with a toggle switch located there, which is the only logical explanation I can find. I have certainly heard some other strange theories though......
The hole was indeed for a toggle switch which can be seen on the photoshoot pics for the Maximum R'n'B Marquee poster.
It looks like the hole made a weak spot on the lower horn and caused the whole lower section of the body to snap off during
a Townshend smashing session. Later pics of the same (possibly tho sporting a diff tailpiece) 1998 show it with the lower body section stuck back on with red
electrical insulating tape hiding the hole and cracks. A pic of the back reveals an entire section of the lower body as a gaping rectangular hole.

I presume you are talking about this picture, correct? :

That picture was taken in Nov. 1966,the first 1998 had it's headstock smashed off in Sept. 1964 (Railway Hotel) and was out-of-comission, and found on the famous "wall of smashed rics" picture taken before this picture was. There's no way it's the same guitar, unfortunately.

You are right about the toggle switch though. In "The Who-Maximum R&B" by Richard Barnes, pg. 35- there is a clear sequence of shots that would later become the Max. R&B poster, and the toggle switch is clear in a number of shots. The guitar is also visible on the "wall of smashed rics" picture, bizzarely with it's toggle switch back in place.
kerchang

Post by kerchang »

Nice one Collin..yes that's the pic. Thought that may be a later Ric... :oops: wonder if the toggle was connected on the earlier one...bit fiddly getting a wire up there.
collin

Post by collin »

kerchang wrote: wonder if the toggle was connected on the earlier one...bit fiddly getting a wire up there.
Yeah, I wonder too- as it then had two toggles connected. Not too hard getting a wire up there if you know the tricks!

Here is what I was talking about before- the toggle is present for the Maximum R &B picture sequence,

Then it's obviously missing in this High Numbers era pic (July 22 '64):

Then it's back on again in the Colin Jones Wall of shame picture:
( I guess it could have been put back on..? I have WAY too much time on hand today.... :oops: )
Attachments
66_colinjones.jpg
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Very nice, congrats and enjoy it, Collin! We'll be seeing it at the next So Cal minicon-jam? :D
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
collin

Post by collin »

rickenbrother wrote:We'll be seeing it at the next So Cal minicon-jam? :D
Thanks Joey, it will most definitely be at the next one!

(ps...one of my good drummer friends just bought his first guitar- a 330 FG, and I think I convinced him to come to the next minicon- let there be rhythm!)
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I'm not the world's leading Townshend expert, but I think I've seen photos of his guitar with what appears to be an XLR connector on the lower horn (not a toggle switch). There was speculation at one time that this modification may have been made for recording purposes. I might be wrong on this, but it seems like an RM guitar (1997 or 1998) came up for sale last year with the XLR connector on the lower horn. Not sure if someone was trying to replicate Townshend's guitar or if it was a standard modification that RM or a local shop was doing on Rickenbackers sold to recording artists.
collin

Post by collin »

randyz wrote:I'm not the world's leading Townshend expert, but I think I've seen photos of his guitar with what appears to be an XLR connector on the lower horn (not a toggle switch). There was speculation at one time that this modification may have been made for recording purposes. I might be wrong on this, but it seems like an RM guitar (1997 or 1998) came up for sale last year with the XLR connector on the lower horn. Not sure if someone was trying to replicate Townshend's guitar or if it was a standard modification that RM or a local shop was doing on Rickenbackers sold to recording artists.
That's what it was! I was trying to remember what the "weird theories" I've heard before were (no offense meant!), and I think I remember you or somebody posting that on the RIC coroporate forum awhile back.

Townshend's was 100% most definitely a toggle switch. The proof is in the photos. XLR is an interesting idea though....doesn't sound impossible, and would make sense in those days.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Sticking an XLR jack on the front of the guitar is pretty dumb. I wonder why they didn't put it on the back or the side edge.
collin

Post by collin »

randyz wrote:Sticking an XLR jack on the front of the guitar is pretty dumb. I wonder why they didn't put it on the back or the side edge.
Totally, yeah.....or on the pickguard!! :)
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Remind me to call you an expletive next time I see you. Man, that's a good one.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

[quote="collin"}Totally, yeah.....or on the pickguard!! :)[/quote]

Nothing wrong with an outlet on a RM pickguard.... :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

wints wrote:Nothing wrong with an outlet on a RM pickguard.... :)
Or a nice old 4005WB! :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”