New Owner

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Re: New Owner

Post by Hotzenplotz »

8mileshigher wrote:Congrats on your Rickenbacker acquisition, John ! ! :)
I agree with your comment that since you have a Vox Night Train, you can take your time shopping around for amps.
+1!

And while taking Your time - here is a nice site to listen to tons of different amps:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/amplifiers_for ... itars.html

Many amps are provided with sound samples next to the short descriptions.
IMHO these sound samples are quite good and close to the character and sound a certain amp offers.
(Typically german) they have a certain, elaborated recording standard to make the samples more comparable.
johnp

Post by johnp »

Sounds like a cracking pair of guitars. Always loved the look of 620s in MID.

Something I didn't notice anyone asking was what sort of sounds you want to get, and whether you've got any ambitions to join bands etc. Because this has a very large impact on what size of amp to pick up. Folks are recommending small amps which will only be able to do distortion at the levels you need rehearsing with a drummer. I've got an old AC-30 which is about right for a small rehearsal room as I can get it to the cusp of hairiness and still hear myself. But I've also really liked playing through 50w JCM 800s.

However both sound rubbish at living room levels...
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

Try a Vox AC30 VR (valve reactor). Fraction of the price of a full tube amp but they still sound superb...much better than my Fender Super Champ
JackOrion

Post by JackOrion »

Hello all, I'm new here and this is my first posting. John's question prompted me to jump in. Thank you John.

I snatched up a new 660/6 midnight blue last night from a fellow in my neck of the woods who just posted it on fleebay. I quickly contacted him and we met in a dark parking lot. I think I willed this transaction cause for the last couple weeks I have been yearning hard for this guitar. It's the 4th Rick to come into my holding and the only one at present in my possession. The other three had sad fates from my view and I can only hope that they are living happy lives wherever they may be, although I'm not so sure about one of them.

So regarding amps John, I completely agree that you should take your time and find 'your' amp. That being said last night when I walked into the house with my new best friend I brought out two of my favorite amps. A Tungsten Crema wheat (#4 if I may be so bold) and a Swart Atomic Space Tone Pro. If you are not familiar with either of these amps, the Tungsten is a tweed deluxe with tweaks and the Swart is.... well it's really an amp of it's own.

Not to drag this out to much longer, I was really glad when I plugged into the Tungsten because I didn't know what to expect the 660 to sound like. It was a true impulse buy. I did have a fear that it would be brittle or have a harsh top end, and surly a tweed deluxe type amp would bring that out, but no. The 660 sounded so good and had that trademark 'grand piano' solid body Rick sound that I remembered with my 3 4001's.
So onto the Swart. If there was ever a Johnny and June Cash duo of guitar and amp I'm nominating the Rickenbacker 660 and the Swart AST pro. Of all my guitars (tele, p-90, 335 PAF, a couple archtops) this 660 is simply amazing sounding. Rich and round, springy and ballsy, deep and transparent. The Rickenbacker formula is pretty stunning through it.

I think it was stated earlier that this guitar is going to sound good thru any amp and I don't see any reason to think otherwise. The one thing I did find, in comparing to my other guitars, the Rick pups liked to be opened up more so then the others. I usually turn my amps up about 1/3 and roll the volume as needed and more often then not it's less than half way! The Rick seemed happiest dialing back the amp BUT this guitar has such a wide spectrum of tone that I think this is just user error, and it'll shine in all situations.

So cheers to our new Ricks my friend and check out that Swart.
barnsleyjohn

Post by barnsleyjohn »

Hello All

Just like to say thanks for all the advice I have received on this thread, it's much appreciated.
Just to answer johnp's question, I don't have any ambitions to be in a band and don't have access to a rehersal room so something along the lines of a AC15/30 would be plenty big enough. In terms of what I would like to play it would be classic rock and blues with a bit of indie, new wave and 60's pop thrown in. So I think i have the right guitars, just got to get the choice of a second amp right.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Another amp out there that should not be overlooked is the Traynor YCV20WR.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
johnp

Post by johnp »

barnsleyjohn wrote:In terms of what I would like to play it would be classic rock and blues with a bit of indie, new wave and 60's pop thrown in. So I think i have the right guitars, just got to get the choice of a second amp right.
Easy. AC-4 if you want to get on with your neighbours or an AC-15 if you can't stand them. :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”