Removing Scratches From A White Pickguard?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Grey
Advanced Member

Removing Scratches From A White Pickguard?

Post by Grey »

Pickguards get scratched up, that's what they're there for. I get that, but if possible, i'd like to restore the old and make my own scratches now that i'm the new owner. :lol:

The guard on my 480 has scratches in really weird places, like directly under the strings, and around the knobs. Dozens and dozens of small, straight-line surface scratches, and I just don't know how it could have been scratched to that degree in those akward places. It dosen't really bother me because, for one, you can only see it when in a certain angle of light, and two, because none of them are deep, its all surface scratches. However, if theres a method for removing or filling in these light surfaces scratches I might as well look into it.

I want to keep it all origional parts and I seriously doubt I will ever find a replacement 480 pickguard that's in any better condition than mine is in anyway, so if I could restore the one I have that'd be great. I can't photograph it for the life of me, i've tried using a macro lens, different lighting conditions, nothing worked right. You'll just have to take my word for it and hopefully get what i'm saying from the description.
Last edited by Grey on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Removing Scratches From A White Pickguard?

Post by Grey »

Double post, I managed to get some images of it. It's about what you'd expect from 30 years of use, I just can't figure out how it got scratched so badly around the knobs and selector switch.

The amount of scratches directly underneath the strings between the pickups makes no sense to me either.

badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

It looks like someone used Brillo on it...try the forum here, Paul W. and company have info on restoration. You probably need ScratchX or Zymol or something...
Halbert

Post by Halbert »

Spike- wrote:I just can't figure out how it got scratched so badly around the knobs and selector switch.

The amount of scratches directly underneath the strings between the pickups makes no sense to me either.
The previous owner used finger picks?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Halbert wrote:The previous owner used finger picks?
With the amount of space between the pickguard and the height of the strings it just dosen't seem plausible.

I got it to show up really well in this shot, just to illustrate why I don't think it was made by any kind of pick.

grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

it looks like the owner had bunch of nasty sharp rings with sculls and weird sharp edges ... :) good buffing wheel with sequence of compounds will polish it out, if it is wet sanded with 1200 & 1500 grit first it will go faster.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Amen to what DP said, and Scratch-X and Zymol work great too to finish it off, or just for minor scratches.

I've seen scratching under the string area on other guitars as well; not sure what it's from-weird strumming style, or might have been a poor job of "thoroughly"removing a sticker that was applied there. The scratches around the knobs and switch don't really surprise me; on a well gigged/played guitar, it just happens, especially with an aggressive playing style.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

grazioso wrote:good buffing wheel with sequence of compounds will polish it out, if it is wet sanded with 1200 & 1500 grit first it will go faster.
Could you clarify on the process? Talk to me like i'm an idiot. :lol:
I haven't ever sanded anything other than wood and I have zero expierence with buffing something. I'm hesitant to do any expierimentation on something I couldn't replace.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Those scratches look like somebody used something abrasive to clean something else off and ended up scratching the heck out of the guard. The good news is that it's not a difficult fix and it can be done without tools. It just takes some work. Back when I was in college, I worked for a sculptor and part of my job was hand polishing sawn, beveled edges of big 3/4" thick plexiglass disks that were used for bases to set his sculptures on, so a little old pickguard is a walk in the park by comparison. I don't own a buffer, so I do the work by hand. You do need some specialized sandpaper to do it, but it's affordable and worth having. Essentially, what you are going to do it take the entire surface of your guard down to a level just below the deepest scratches, and then polish it back up until it looks shiny and new. It sounds like a lot more work than it really is and the actual amount removed in almost microscopic, but the end results are dramatic.

There are various methods, but this is how I polish the plexi on my guards with no power tools. You will need some "wet-or dry" sandpaper from a hardware or automotive store and you will be using it wet. This is a specific type of paper designed not to fall apart when wet. If you ask for wetsanding paper, they'll know what you need. One sheet of 320 grit and one sheet of 400 grit will most likely do. They usually run maybe 80 cents per sheet or so. As the numbers get bigger, the grit on the papers gets smaller (finer). The other "sand paper" I use isn't really paper at all, it's called "Micromesh" and I use an assortment of their cloth-backed 5" diameter disks. They're made to stick on power sanders, but I use them by hand for wet sanding. They aren't exactly cheap at about $18 per set, but they last for a long time and are one of the best sources for assortments of extremely fine grits. I get them from places like Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Produc ... 6011fa7821

The 5" disk set will get you nine disks ranging from 1,500 grit all the way up through 12,000 grit.

You will also need a sink, a flat surface to work on (I usually use a cutting board on the kitchen counter) and a small block of wood (it's the highly sophisticated tool, you supply the power). To finish off, you'll need a rag and some Scratch-X or other polishing compound and some Zymol or other wax (if desired). Start by removing the guard and all of its electronics. Old guards can be a bit brittle, so you want to work with it flat on the cutting board to support it. Wet guards are also slippery, so don't drop it.

Start with the 320 grit paper, torn into 1/4 sheets and wrapped around the block of wood. Dunk it under the running water and start rubbing the surface with medium pressure. You can use circular or back-and-forth motions, it doesn't matter much. The water both lubricates the sanding action and helps keep the paper from plugging up with removed plastic. Re-dunk the block and paper as needed to keep it moving nicely.The block helps keep everything flat, so that you're not sanding dents or hollows into the surface. Do the entire top surface. 320 is usually enough to take out anything from playing wear. This grit takes care of about 95% of the removal stage for scratches. The following grits are mostly just slowly polishing the surface. Every once in a while, run the guard under the water, wipe it off and see how the scratches look. You want to continue until they are gone and the entire surface is covered with a uniform pattern of tiny scratches. For a bass guard, this step might take 20-30 minutes if it's deeply scratched. Coarser paper could be used (220 grit) for really deep ones, but it usually isn't needed.

Here is one of the upper guards from my 370/12WB. For demonstration purposes, I took a map tack and made a big batch of fairly deep, nasty scratches in the middle. The second photo shows the wood block and a micromesh disk being used.(Damn, I'm getting big, old looking hands! It's no wonder I have to rebuild the nuts on all my twelves so that my fingers fit on the fingerboard). It probably took about 5 minutes with the 320 to get down below all those scratches and yield an even looking sanded surface on this one. A bass guard would take a bit longer, simply because it's bigger.

More to follow.
Attachments
plexi-001a.jpg
plexi-002a.jpg
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed. Very detailed and incredibly helpful. So, are you saying I should use either the regular wet-sandpaper type 320 grit and 400 grit, or the Micro-Mesh, or that I should use both, and start with the 320-400 and then finish it up by using the Micro-Mesh to polish?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

PART II

Since the 320 is your last grit with good cutting power, you want to make sure that all the scratches are gone before moving up to the next grit. Keep sanding, rinsing and wiping it until all you can see are the sandpaper scratches that you just put in. Now you're ready to switch to the 400 grit paper. Whenever you switch grits, rinse the guard first. If any grit happened to fall off during the previous sanding, it could scratch the next finer surface you're about to create.

From this point on, essentially what you are doing with every grit change is covering the surface with a uniform pattern of finer and finer scratches - until they get so fine that you can't even see them. These sanding steps usually go faster than the initial one did, since you're just sanding the top, not digging out scratches. You simply wrap the new grit around the block, dunk it, and work over the surface evenly, rinsing, wiping and eyeballing it to check for uniformity. I went through the 320 and 400 wet papers and then switched to the Micromesh disks, which start at 1,500. You can get papers with grits between 400 and 1,500 (600, 800, 1,000) but I haven't found them to be needed for this job. After the 1,500 grit, I went to 1,800, 2,400, 3,200, 3,600, 3,800, 4,000, 6,000, 8,000 and finally 1,200, with each step taking a couple of minutes on this little upper guard. A bass guard would obviously take a bit longer, but probably not more than about five minutes per grit. By this time, it should be looking pretty shiny. Now you take a rag and some Scratch-X or polishing compound and give it a good rubbing until it's really looking good. Top that off with a wax like Zymol and it should be looking pretty much like new. If you do own a buffer, you can eliminate much of the fine-grit sanding, but it certainly doesn't require one to get a really nice finish.
Attachments
plexi-004a.jpg
plexi-006a.jpg
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Erik, I use both the paper and the Micromesh, but if you can find it (auto stores) you can get some really fine grades of wetsanding paper that would probably work. Micromesh is just a very convenient way to get a really good progression of super-fine grits in one package that will also last through multiple jobs. I used the same procedure and Micromesh to sand and polish this bass body and polish and bevel the edges of various sets of guards.
Attachments
2030TB.jpg
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

That's an excellent guide. Exactly what I needed, thanks so much. I'll be sure to come back to this thread once I use this process myself.

I'll look and see if they carry the Micro-Mesh locally, and if not, look for some wet sanding paper in the range of grits that you used. Worse case scenario I just order it and it takes a little longer, no big deal.

Oh, and that bass looks amazing. It's like a mirror finish.
Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Worse comes to worse, that won't be a hard pickguard to have cut.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Malchik wrote:Worse comes to worse, that won't be a hard pickguard to have cut.
Yea, I know, but i've gone thus far trying to avoid replacing anything. The previous owner had at one point painted over the headstock truss rod cover with white 'easel' paint because he thought it would 'look cool' and then later tried to fix it by coloring over it with a sharpie. I spent alot of time removing the sharpie and paint down to the origional, as opposed to sending it to Ric and ordering a replacement. He also removed the silver insert on the bass tone knob and placed stickers over the other controls, so getting those off was a pain.

It may sound a little silly, but I just want to keep this one guitar origional. I already had my fun modifying my SG into my 'ideal' SG so I just want to leave this one alone if possible.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”